Hello- To highlight our wonderful ‘Winter Luxury’ heirloom Pie Pumpkins, we are selling fresh baked Pumpkin Bread and Pumpkin Butter made by Maria Sestero of Sophie’s Choice Designs, a local caterer. Come by the farmstand for a taste. Yummy stuff!
‘Winter Luxury’ Pie Pumpkins, also known as Livingston’s Pie Squash, were introduced in 1893 by Johnson & Stokes of Philadelphia. Fruits average 4-6 pounds, making them the perfect size for two pies. Orange rind is covered in delicate netting; flesh is smooth, velvety, sweet, and fiber-free (not stringy like other pie pumpkin varieties).
Amy Goldman describes the Winter Luxury Pie Pumpkin in her book, “The Complete Squash”, excerpted below:
Simply “cook it done” this way:
1. Winter Luxury Pie pumpkin should be baked whole, pierced for a few tiny vent holes, stem trimmed, at 350*F until it “slumps” and softens after an hour or so. If you wish, you can cut a lid, remove the gunk and seeds, and replace the lid loosely before baking (this method yields a drier pie).
2. The cooked pumpkin is hotter than hot potatoes: Be careful when you cut out or removed the lid. Seeds and strings, if left inside, come out easily. Take a large spoon and simply scoop the pumpkin out like ice cream. The flesh peels away from the desiccated rind without a shudder and leaves it flat.
3. Puree the flesh in a blender, adding liquid if needed. A 5-pound pumpkin yields approximately 2 1/2 pounds or 4 cups of pulp, enough for two pies.
4. Insert your favorite pie recipe here.
Other winter squashes available…
Plenty of root vegetables too…
Also Available now:
- Eggplant ‘Early Long Purple’: $1.25/lb.
- Eggplant ‘Black Beauty’: $1.25/lb.
- Green Bell Peppers: 2 for $1.00
- Jalapeño Chile Peppers: $1.75/lb.
- Cayenne Chile Peppers: $4.50/lb.
- Green Tomatoes: $1.00/lb.
- Red and White Chard: $2.50/bunch
- Italian Parsley: $1.00/bunch
- Fresh Culinary Herbs- Marjoram, Oregano, Sage, Savory, Thyme, Tarragon, Rosemary: $1.50 each bunch
- Garlic, ‘Chesnok Red’ hardneck: $7.00/lb.
- Edible Flowers, Nasturtiums: $1.50/bunch
- Fresh cut flower bouquets for $4.75
We’ll be finishing up for the year in about two weeks.
© 1996-2017 M o m a n d Enterprises, Boise-Idaho USA. All Rights Reserved